Friday 11 March 2011

Review of Across the Universe

Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Published: 2011
Pages: 398
My Rating: 4/5


Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules. Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone—one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship—tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn’t do something soon, her parents will be next. Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed’s hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there’s only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


My Review
When I first heard of this book I was really interested in the concept - I've never read anything space-sci fi before. But I was slightly put off by the romance suggested by the cover and the blurb, as I'm not a huge fan of that sort of genre.

The chapters switched between Amy's point of view and Elder's. This I loved, as it gives two totally different perspectives and shows how different the two people from different worlds think and act.

I also loved how well thought out the whole colony of people living on the ship was. It was strange yet believable. As much as I did enjoy the mystery, I did find a few parts a tad predictable. But it wasn't a huge problem.

As for the romance, I was glad to see there wasn't as much as I was expecting due to how it was implied. The story was mostly focused on the mystery and sci fi. There also wasn't any of this love-triangle stuff that you get in a lot of YA novels these days, and instead there were other problems involved. But I still think fans of the romance will enjoy this.

Overall, I enjoyed this book very much, and read most of it in a day in fact! It was a refreshing and interesting read as there isn't much out like this in YA at the moment. I'm looking forward to the next one!

1 comment:

  1. The romance bit is what originally put me off this one as well, but all of the reviews have been fab, so I have this on my to-buy list! Thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! :)