Saturday 5 March 2011

Review of Revolver by Marcus Sedgwick



Title:
Revolver

Author: Marcus Sedgwick
Published: 2010 (?)
Pages: 211
My Rating: 4/5

1910. A cabin north of the Arctic Circle. Fifteen-year-old Sig Andersson is alone. Alone, except for the corpse of his father, who died earlier that day after falling through a weak spot on the ice-covered lake. His sister, Anna, and step-mother, Nadya, have gone to the local town for help. Then comes a knock at the door. It's a man, the flash of a revolver's butt at his hip, and a mean glare in his eyes. Sig has never seen him before but Wolff claims to have unfinished business with his father. As Sig gradually learns the awful truth about Wolff's connection to his father, Sig finds his thoughts drawn to a certain box hidden on a shelf in the storeroom, in which lies his father's prized possession - a revolver. When Anna returns alone, and Wolff begins to close in, Sigs choice is pulled into sharp focus. Should he use the gun, or not?


My Review: 


This was a lightning fast read. Barely 200 pages with large writing, I read it in a day! I'm really having a hard time to come up with anything to say for this review, it was just a perfect little read that was brilliantly written.


Set in the Arctic Wilderness in 1910. Sig discovers his father frozen to death and sits alone in his cabin with the corpse and his father's revolver. Not long after, a strange man named Wolff shows up claiming business with Sig's father which he now expects Sig to complete. 


Wolff was an extremely disturbing character. I felt for Sig as though I was sitting in the cabin with intimidating form myself. The current story was interspersed with chapters cleverly telling of Sig's family and father, and the events leading up to his death. The book also had very strong themes of hope, faith, choices, family and wealth all wrapped up into one. It was a very refreshing read, and like nothing else you'd find in the Young 
Adult genre.


I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a quick real written YA read!

2 comments:

  1. OK, well now I see you HAVE read this book,(see my comment on your blog hop) and liked it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I was just finding the review to link you to it. I hope you enjoy it, it's a quick little read! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! :)