Tuesday 8 February 2011

Shifty's War

This is sort of relating to the last post I made about Band of Brothers. I just wanted to talk about this new book that's coming out soon. It's a biography of Darrel 'Shifty' Powers, one of the paratroopers portrayed in Band of Brothers. I'm pretty excited to read it.
    I've always loved reading first hand accounts and biographies of soldiers during WW2. It's one area that really fascinates me. I've read Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose (what the mini-series was initially based on) and Easy Company Soldier by Don Malarky (one of the Easy Company veterans)  From the Pacific mini-series (another brilliant WW2 epic following US Marines in the Pacific, also created by Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielberg) I've read Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie, With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and Islands of the Damned by R.V. Burgin. For Band of Brothers I'm also hoping to read Babe and Wild Bill's book, and Winters'.
      I know that these are all based off the mini-series' and have only really become famous because of that. But it's actually surprisingly hard to find first-hand combat accounts from WW2. I've read Sixty Days of Combat by Dean Joy (a US infantryman) and I've also got If you Survive (the authors name escapes me at the moment) to read. It's sad that there aren't more around as I'm sure some people have amazing stories to tell of the war. But alas, I'm just looking forward to Shifty's War for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! :)